2.14.2012

Pillars of Strength ... for K and KB



This Valentine's Day, as every day, I woke up to two dogs who, as soon as my voice telling them good morning roused them from sleep, popped their heads out from under the blankets, and commenced wagging their tails so furiously that the comforter seemed, for a moment, possessed.  After tousling Tucker's already tousled head, kissing Phoebe on her little black nose and letting them both out into the yard to do their morning sniff-around, I went back inside to wish the three cats good morning and get breakfast for everyone.  Our routine is the same every morning (and evening for that matter), but far from finding it boring or tedious, I actually find deep satisfaction and contentment, even joy, in these seemingly mundane rituals, and I know I'm not the only one.  The steadfast companionship of our animal companions is a gift beyond price to those who love them, and never is this gift more prized than when circumstances of advancing age or the diagnosis of some fearsome disease threatens to take our beloved companions from us.


Today we celebrate the cherished bond between KB and her Labrador, K, of Romping and Rolling in the Rockies and the battle they are currently waging against K's recent osteosarcoma diagnosis.  I only discovered KB's blog recently, but I quickly became a convert.  KB's photos are incredible - in fact, I lack words - but there is more to it than that.  Each photo tells a powerful story to me, and the story is one of love and courage, and the unshakable bond between human and canine.  It's a universal story to be sure, but it is also, when seen through KB's lens, a deeply personal one.  

Obviously, we wish both K and KB the best, and are sending all possible good thoughts and prayers their way, in hopes that this terrible disease K is currently battling, with KB ever by her side of course, will be vanquished, and K restored to full health.  Won't you stop by their blog today and offer your good wishes, too?

KB and K, if you read this today, please know that you are in our thoughts. 

10 comments:

tubby3pug said...

You right very beautifully. I agree with you that the little morning rituals, the mundane things, are what cement the bond with those we love. I just reading K and KBs blog and it is amazing

Elaine Pritchard said...

I love my routines.

I will pop along and see KB and thank you for letting us know about them.

Love and licks, Winnie

Sagira said...

So sweet of you to post this

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Our prayers go out to K and KB.

Karen Jo said...

Herman is purring for K and KB.

Oui Oui said...

We love routine too! Happy Valentine's Day to you from all of us! We'll be purring for K & KB too. Our heart goes out to them.

Sam said...

YES, YES, YES! It is those day-to-day rituals, those special little moments, that make our relationships with our pets what they are. What a beautiful post.

bichonpawz said...

Very nice post! We hope you had a Happy Hearts Day too! Xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Patrice and Higgins said...

Such a beautiful post. You're right, there is such a special bond between dogs and their owners! I am off to check out K and KB's blog!

~Higgins

Barb said...

Visiting as a blog friend of KB & K. Your own animal friends are very cute! My hair looks a bit like Tucker's.