2.22.2012

The World Outside

One of the best things I ever did (for myself and my cats) was about a year and a half ago, when I  enclosed an approximately twelve by twelve by eight foot area of my back deck for the cats.   Prior to moving to my current home about six years ago, I had a townhouse nearby that was unique in two respects:  it had a small fenced yard that was perfect for letting the dogs out on late nights and early mornings AND a six by six by eight screened patio that Olivia, then the only cat, greatly enjoyed.  I couldn't really tell you why I waited so long to create this new enclosure, which the cats access from the french doors off my bedroom, but I wish I had done it years ago.

Prior to doing so, however, I had satisfied the cats' desire to be outdoors with my desire to keep them safe by outfitting them with harnesses and taking them on leashed strolls around the fenced backyard. All the cats really enjoyed this, but PE (post enclosure), we got out of the habit, I guess because of my own laziness and/or the belief that the cats didn't really need to go out on leash anymore since they could go out in the cat safe enclosure basically anytime they wanted, so long as I was home to keep an eye and ear out for any trouble.  

Last weekend, though, it was so nice out on Saturday that I decided to give each cat a turn about the yard (while the other two watched most enviously from the mudroom window).  Of course, it wasn't until I was about to bring Finn out for his turn that it dawned on me to grab the camera.  Needless to say, they all three had a great time, and I have promised them that I'll be much more diligent about making sure that they get this opportunity more frequently from now on.  

God made the cat in order that man might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger. 
- Fernand Mery 


Hey, what kind of scratching post is THIS?  

Tiger no.  Panther ... YES!  

Always take time to stop and smell pose in front of the flowers.

I am a house panther - see me stalk! 





20 comments:

Rama's Mama said...

Lovely photos. We have a black cat, too.

Gracie Lu Shih Tzu said...

Oooh that looks fun. My mom's first cat was a black cat, so she loves them.

Katie Isabella said...

OH you are so gorgeous! And Panfer hugs are so special. I wish I had one.

Old Kitty said...

Yay!! Awwww hope you all enjoy your walks around your wonderful enclosure as the weather gets nicer!! Sweet Finn - you are indeed a most beautiful panther! Yay! Take care
x

CATachresis said...

What a beautiful panther!

Kirsten (peacefuldog) said...

An enclosed patio is a great solution to the conundrum of inside cats vs outside cats--and so are kitty leash walks! My dogs save me from having to make those deliberations--any cat I took in would be quickly eaten, alas--but if I ever did or could, this is certainly what I'd do!

Remington said...

Beautiful shots, my friend!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We bet they really enjoyed themselves - so very nice of you to take the time to do that. And your photos are just awesome!

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Ivan from WMD said...

That's great! My mom used to think about enclosing the patio at our old house but she never did (and we even had a cat door to use!!). Since none of us has the urge to go outside, I suppose we're content enough just looking through windows.

tubby3pug said...

Very nice we dont let our cats out and Id love to enclose our deck some day so that we could

Katie Isabella said...

I would so love my baby having the ability to go on the deck. Don't think I can afford it though but I love seeing or learning about other kitties who have that wonderful opportunity.

Kinley Westie said...

I bet they were happy to get to go out!

yuki and rocket said...

my favorite thing about cats are their eye colors! so many different colors, all so beautiful...too bad i'm severely allergic to them :(

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Wow...just look at those green eyes. Beautiful!

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Hey Cats,

Glad you had a great adventure outside!! Isn't it fun :)

Big wags to all,

Your pal Snoopy :)

Brando and Bogart said...

What a great idea, They look like they really enjoy the enclosure--WOW!!

The Daily Pip said...

Oh my gosh, these are beautiful pictures! I have tried harnesses on my cats and they don't like them. How long did it take your cats to get used to wearing the harnesses? Maybe I should try again.

Oui Oui said...

How I wish I could enjoy my deck for our kitties, but the home owners association would never allow that. Maybe the next place.... But you sure have a handsome panther!

Kolchak Puggle said...

That is really cool! Our Auntie Brenda has enclosed her porch in mesh as a kitty enclosure. It's really cool!

bichonpawz said...

We think it is wonderful that you have an enclosure for your cats! Bet they really enjoy that! What a beautiful cat! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug